The Senior Mechanical CAD Designer is responsible for the design and layout for all products including new, rental fleet, surplus assets, and investment recovery. This position is responsible for CAD design of mechanical equipment layouts, fabrication details, drawing files, bill of materials, and completion of mechanical design projects within the area of assigned responsibility.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Designs, lays out, and constructs mechanical assembly drawings and fabrication details with BOMs for water treatment equipment. Includes understanding of customer specifications, blueprint reading, CAD software, and fabrication shop practices.
- Works directly with production staff during equipment fabrication and assembly by supporting the production shop and assembly/testing area project questions, etc.
- Analyzes engineering sketches, specifications, and related data and drawings to determine design factors such as size, shape, and arrangement of components.
- Has the ability to fully design and layout equipment skids and systems within client constraints. Computes angles, weights, surface areas, dimensions, radii, clearances, tolerances, leverages, and locations of holes and components. Generates piping designs and details for fab with the ability for minor line wiring and cabinet layouts, etc.
- Has the ability to develop major component lists for equipment and systems. Creates purchase order requisitions for purchasing department. Generate shop assembly documentation and drawings.
- Participates and supports the project management function through reports and follow-up production information required by customers and inside project managers.
- Responsible for design reviews and compliance with engineering principles, company standards, and customer contract requirements and related specifications. Also acts as a mentor to less experienced CAD designers.
- Evaluate and approve design changes along with the engineer for specifications and drawing releases.
- Manages expenditures within the project budget given to them.
- Makes sure machines, tools, and production practices are in compliance with company objectives and design specifications.
- Uses computer-aided design (CAD) software to develop designs and documents accurately.
- Supports sales in application engineering and design by reviewing proposals, reports, or findings, creating proposal drawings and estimates, etc.
- Confers with functional areas and production staff to discuss project specifications and or procedures to fulfill customer requirements.
- Participates in the company’s business planning strategy as it applies to the mechanical design department.
Qualifications for Senior Mechanical CAD Designer
Education and/or Experience
Required Mechanical Associates Degree or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school. Preferred bachelor’s in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent work experience of a minimum of (8) years in a related water and wastewater treatment industry.
Comprehensive technical knowledge of all company products and services.
Experience in working in a team environment where teamwork and collaboration are essential to complete the work assignments and attain the goals of the organization.
Interpersonal skills and abilities to develop and maintain strong internal and external customer and potential customer relationships.
Demonstrated ability to contribute to the overall business strategy and make recommendations within the scope of position responsibility.
Knowledge and Skill
Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Full knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications is required. Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical and electrical processes are required.
Knowledge of how to use power and hand tools, wrenches, cements, hand cutters, saws, electrical and mechanical instruments, fittings, and parts related to water treatment equipment.
Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of basic control panels, PLC, I/O, power supplies, wiring, etc. Software knowledge and use are a plus.
Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Personal computer, Microsoft Office Suite including Excel, Word, MS Project, PowerPoint, etc.
Computer-aided design CAD software — Solid Works CAD modeling software, Autodesk AutoCAD software required. Inventor software is a plus.
Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended; Adobe Systems.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The office is located on ground level.
- Must operate office equipment, fax and or printer, and personal computer.
- May stand, walk, bend, stoop, and lift frequently from 4 to 6 hours each day.
- May be required to carry or move equipment or parts in excess of 50 lbs. with the assistance of a lifting device.
- Work requires close vision.
- May be required to travel up to 15% of the time per month.
- May travel outside the US or to international destinations for 3 or more days per year.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment, works closely with others.
- Clean, well-lit area with access to up-to-date technology and equipment.
- Some travel to fieldwork sites to inspect, repair, or test equipment which requires mental and physical change from routine office work.
Internal – All employees.
External – Customers, Vendors, suppliers, sellers, sales staff, consultants.
Some budget responsibilities. Can participate in the development of department budgets and planning as determined by department management.
Job Title: Senior Mechanical CAD Designer
Reports To: Mechanical Engineering manager
FLSA Status: Exempt
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Learn more about working at WaterSurplus
Surplus Management, Inc. (dba WaterSurplus) is an Equal Opportunity Employer