The Senior Field Service Technician is responsible for customer site services such as equipment/system installation, field service start-ups, commissioning, troubleshooting, media/membrane change-outs or loading, client equipment reviews, general maintenance/repair for water treatment equipment, and training/support for Service Technicians/clients. This position works directly with the Director of Site Services to execute the company’s need to provide reliable client service, maintenance repair, and testing of all equipment to meet the overall goals and objectives of the organization.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Provides for general onsite and offsite equipment installation, service, start-up, commissioning, testing, and training for various types of water treatment equipment across industries.
- Is responsible for field service goals and timely equipment start-ups and cost control for onsite time and materials needed to complete a field project.
- Provides equipment and operational support to the Production Manager on the shop floor in Loves Park, IL to help with equipment refurbishments, build-outs, rental returns, and testing of equipment for final delivery or inventory storage.
- Is responsible for operating and maintaining all necessary tools and hardware for outside field service calls. Must also be responsible for using company vehicles, tools, etc.
- Operates company vehicles requiring a valid standard driver’s license to operate.
- Supports a safe workplace by adhering to the company’s safety program. Will obey all OSHA regulations as well as applicable State of Illinois requirements for shop manufacturing and production operations.
- Will participate in training for Field Service Technicians to accomplish equipment startups across the breadth of WaterSurplus equipment systems.
- Will be required to travel to customer job sites for sales calls, quoting support, startup troubleshooting, service reviews, water audits, or repair of equipment.
- May require travel to the Loves Park, IL home office to support production, equipment refurbishment, rebuilds, and testing.
Supervisory Responsibilities and/or Experience
This position may occasionally require supervisory roles over Field Service Technicians. Applicants should have a minimum of one year of supervisory or management experience in a technical capacity.
Qualifications for Senior Field Service Technician
Education and/or Experience
A two-year associate degree in a technical field or equivalent work experience is preferred. Mechanical and electrical aptitude with a minimum of 5 years relevant experience in equipment service & startup, repair & maintenance, plumbing, and/or control systems. Electrical and PLC programming experience are helpful.
Interpersonal skills to interact with other employees, managers, and customers in or out of the production facility. The ability to lead and direct Equipment Technicians on good engineering practices for equipment operation, monitoring, troubleshooting, and repair.
Proven communication skills and an ability to work with all types of personalities to accomplish tasks on and off-site. Experience in working in a team environment where teamwork and collaboration are essential to complete the work assignments and attain the goals of the organization.
Knowledge and Skill
Senior Field Service Technicians must be experienced and efficient in using personal and laptop computers, cell phones, and associated software and apps. They must have experience with Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, and Outlook). The ability to read equipment drawings, process flow diagrams (PFD’s), process & instrumentation diagrams (P&ID’s), electrical schematics, specifications, and manuals are required. The ability to read, interpret, troubleshoot, and modify PLC ladder logic is also helpful.
This position requires a proven history in analyzing and troubleshooting water treatment equipment and controls including filters, pumps, valves, chemical injection, instrumentation, and general automation. A basic understanding and command of process design, water chemistry, and water treatment testing tools for troubleshooting and servicing water treatment equipment are needed. Must have a working knowledge of all types of water treatment processes such as membranes, ion exchange, filtration, etc. Ability to work with all kinds of hand tools, power tools, machinery, testing instruments, handheld instruments & devices, water quality analyzers, and test kits.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Production facilities may be located on multiple levels with stairs required or in an outside environment at client’s sites.
- Must be able to operate office equipment, fax and/or printer, and personal computer.
- May stand, walk, bend, stoop, and lift frequently on an average of 8 hours each day.
- May be required to carry or move equipment or parts more than 50 lbs.
- May require confined space entry.
- Work requires close vision.
- Required to use power hoist, pallet transport trucks, powered forklifts, similar equipment, and/or company vehicles.
- Will be required to travel a majority of the time away from the facility on work-related activities. Air travel is required on occasion.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Production environment or client off-site location where you may climb stairs/ladders and balance materials while moving or repairing equipment.
- Performs physical activities that require considerable use of arms, legs, and body movements to lift, bend, stoop, walk, and squat.
- Hand and eye coordination is required to assure job performance is carried out in the most efficient and safe manner.
Internal – All employees, managers, consultants, temporary and contracted staff.
External – Customers, vendors, suppliers, and contractors both on and off premises.
The Senior Field Service Technician will be responsible for budgeting and reporting their travel expenses, equipment repair expenses, and time spent on client equipment and site services to stay within project budgets.
Job Title: Senior Field Service Technician
Reports To: Director of Site Services
Department: Site Services
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Learn more about working at WaterSurplus
Surplus Management, Inc. (dba WaterSurplus) is an Equal Opportunity Employer