The Senior Equipment Technician is responsible for the refurbishment, assembly, and testing of various types of water treatment equipment in order to support the sale or rental of assets to WaterSurplus customers. This position supports the company’s need to build an inventory of usable water treatment equipment to meet the overall strategic goals and objectives of the organization.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Mechanical and electrical repair or replacement of worn, damaged, or defective parts by using a wide range of both hand and power tools to refurbish used equipment or systems.
- Assembles, installs, and repairs electrical wiring, components, and piping systems of both plastic (PVC) and metal (SS or CS) as required. Includes PVC gluing of piping, minor welding for skids, cutting and fitting of components for repairs, threaded pipe assembly, etc.
- Inspects, operates, and tests equipment to verify proper operation and/or identify needed repairs. Will require use and following of company procedures and documents for recording activity.
- Operates powered forklifts for moving skids, pallets, and equipment as necessary to perform refurbishment duties. Operates company vehicles requiring a standard driver’s license to operate.
- Acts as backup to Inventory/Warehouse floor personnel to assist in moving, handling, or storage of assets as required from time to time.
- Supports a safe workplace by adhering to the company’s safety program. Will obey all OSHA regulations as well as applicable State of Illinois requirements for shop manufacturing and production operations.
- Helps to train and mentor less experienced production staff in the tools, techniques, and skills required to refurbish water treatment equipment.
- May be required to travel to customer job sites to repair equipment or participate in equipment start-up and training by supporting the service technicians.
Temporary supervision of lower-level production staff assigned to them to accomplish a particular project otherwise no supervisory requirement is needed.
Qualifications for Senior Equipment Technician
Education and/or Experience
Minimum of an Associate’s Degree in mechanical or electrical design/equipment repair or equivalent work experience. Mechanical and electrical aptitude with a minimum of 5-7 years relevant experience in equipment repair/maintenance and/or plumbing preferably in water treatment equipment.
PLC programming experience is highly recommended but not required.
Interpersonal skills to interact with other employees, managers, and the occasional customer in or out of the production facility.
Experience in working in a team environment where teamwork and collaboration are essential to complete the work assignments and attain the goals of the organization. Demonstrated ability to contribute to the overall business strategy and make recommendations within the scope of position responsibility.
Knowledge and Skill
Personal computer, Microsoft Office Suite of Word, Excel, and Outlook, cell phone, desk phone, and material handling equipment as required.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The production facility is located on ground level.
- Must be able to operate office equipment, fax and or printer, and personal computer.
- May stand, walk, bend, stoop, and lift frequently for an average of 8 hours each day.
- May be required to carry or move equipment or parts in excess of 50 lbs.
- Work requires close vision.
- Required to use power hoist, pallet transport trucks, powered forklifts, and banding machines and/or company vehicles.
- May be required to travel at times away from the facility on work-related activities.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Production environment, may climb, and balance materials while moving or repairing equipment. Performs physical activities that require considerable use of arms, legs, and body movements to lift, bend, stoop, walk and squat. Hand and eye coordination is required to assure job performance is carried out in the most efficient and safe manner.
Internal – All employees, managers, temporary and contracted staff.
External – Vendors and suppliers, contractors and customers both on and off premises.
None, but provides input to management on recommended capital equipment and facility needs from a production standpoint.
Job Title: Senior Equipment Technician
Reports To: Production Manager
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Surplus Management, Inc. (dba WaterSurplus) is an Equal Opportunity Employer