The Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for the design, direction, and coordination of instrument & controls electrical engineering for all products including new, rental fleet, surplus assets, and investment recovery.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Designs or reviews customer specifications to assure project specifications are compatible with company capabilities.
- Completes electrical engineering design, PLC programming and hardware selection, HMI screen development, wiring and cabinet design, etc.
- Engineers projects, selecting and designing electrical hardware and software making detailed plans to accomplish goals and supporting the integration of technical activities.
- Negotiates with customers to approve product designs and changes. Presents and explains proposals, reports, or findings to customers.
- Confers with functional areas and production staff to discuss project specifications and or procedures to fulfill customer requirements.
- Prepares sales estimating tools for new, rental, and surplus contracts and responds to customer questions as necessary regarding electrical controls and instrumentation.
- Review, assign, direct, and evaluate contractor work, and oversee the development and design of staff workload and assignments with regard to electrical and instrumentation.
- Performs administrative functions such as reviewing and writing reports, creating purchasing requisitions, and making decisions about the purchase of materials or services.
- Can create CAD drawings for line wiring and cabinet layouts and/or provide sketches and details for CAD design staff to create drawings as needed.
- May help to perform rental startup service including installation and follow-up service calls. Performs training and startup for customers as required to fulfill contract requirements with regard to electrical design and programming.
- Prepares budgets, cost estimates, bids, and contracts for new and existing customers with regard to controls and electrical/instrumentation.
- Participates in the company’s business planning strategy and makes recommendations for facilities, human capital, and capital asset expenditures.
Qualifications for Senior Electrical Engineer
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent work experience of a minimum of 10 years in a related water and wastewater treatment industry.
Comprehensive technical knowledge of all company products and services.
Experience in working in a team environment where teamwork and collaboration are essential to complete the work assignments and attain the goals of the organization.
Interpersonal skills and abilities to develop and maintain strong internal and external customer and potential customer relationships.
Demonstrated ability to contribute to the overall business strategy and make recommendations within the scope of position responsibility.
Knowledge and Skill
Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Full knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics and their applications is required. Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical and electrical processes are required.
Knowledge and ability to use power tools, wrenches, cements, hand cutters, saws, volt meters, conductivity/pH meters, computers, current sources, power supplies, and hand tools.
Design — Knowledge of design techniques, tools, and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of circuit boards, processors, chips, electronic equipment, and computer hardware and software, including applications and programming.
Administration and Management — Knowledge of business and management principles involved in strategic planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and coordination of people and resources.
Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Personal computer, Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Controls programming software, and troubleshooting.
The technology used in this position may include:
Analytical or scientific software — Typical PLC programming logic and software such as Allen Bradley, RX Logix500, RS Logix5000, Factory Talk View Studio, ME, Flash Control, I-Cube Configurator software, Cscape programming environment, Siemens, Red Lion, Maple Systems, Etc. software. Also similar HMI software and screen creation ability for Allen Bradley Panel View, I3, Siemens, etc.
Computer-aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD software; AudoCadLt; Hewlett-Packard HP Solid Designer; Pro-E CAD software; Solid Works CAD software
Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended; Adobe Systems Adobe Life Cycle ES
Project management software — Autodesk Buzzsaw; Microsoft Project; Primavera Systems software; The Gordian Group PROGEN Online
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The office is located on ground level.
- Must operate office equipment, fax and or printer, and personal computer.
- May stand, walk, bend, stoop, and lift frequently from 4 to 6 hours each day.
- May be required to carry or move equipment or parts in excess of 50 lbs. with the assistance of a lifting device.
- Work requires close vision.
- May be required to travel 15-25% of the time per month.
- May travel outside the US or to international destinations for 3 or more days per month.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment, works closely with others.
- Clean, well-lit area with access to up-to-date technology and equipment.
- May travel to fieldwork site to inspect, repair, or test equipment which requires mental and physical change from routine office work.
Internal – All employees.
External – Customers, vendors, suppliers, sellers, sales staff, consultants.
Provides support to the manager regarding responsibility for the expense budget of the department and human and equipment capital recommendations. Expenditure limits do apply and need the manager’s approval.
Job Title: Senior Electrical Engineer
Reports To: Vice President of Engineering
FLSA Status: Exempt
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Learn more about working at WaterSurplus
Surplus Management, Inc. (dba WaterSurplus) is an Equal Opportunity Employer