The Senior Electrical Designer is responsible for the design, direction, quality assurance, startup, and coordination of instrument & control electrical design, wiring, and cabinet layouts for all products including new, rental fleet, surplus assets, and investment recovery.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Participates in reviews of customer specifications to assure project specifications are compatible with company capabilities.
- Completes CAD drawings and documentation for the electrical design of panel layouts, line wiring, hardware selection, cabinet design, etc. Includes proper wiring sizing, conduit selection and hardware needed, etc.
- Performs quality assurance review of electrical systems, instrument selection and operation, calibration, and wiring. Participates in the wet cycle testing of equipment and completes mechanical and electrical R2R QA documentation, shop as-builts, corrections, and final document sign-off.
- Assists Project Management in negotiations with customers to approve product designs and changes. Helps to explain designs, layouts, and engineered components to inside and outside customers.
- Confers with functional areas and production staff to discuss project specifications and or procedures to fulfill customer requirements.
- Assists sales to respond to customer questions as necessary regarding electrical controls and instrumentation to fit process needs.
- Supports contractor work within mechanical aspects of equipment designs and fabrication.
- Performs administrative functions such as writing reports, O&M manuals, creating purchasing requisitions, and assisting with the purchase of materials or services.
- Performs, or assists at, equipment startups and installations at client’s sites. Includes some travel, mechanical and electrical checkout, training, and final sign-off of equipment and systems by the client. Will require field service reports, etc.
Qualifications for Senior Electrical Designer
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering. Four-year bachelor’s degree minimum is required. Experience in a related water and wastewater treatment industry is a plus.
Knowledge of water treatment equipment and components, products, and services.
Experience in working in a team environment where teamwork and collaboration are essential to complete the work assignments and attain the goals of the organization.
Interpersonal skills and abilities to develop and maintain strong internal and external customer and potential customer relationships.
Demonstrated ability to contribute to the overall business strategy and make recommendations within the scope of position responsibility.
Knowledge and Skill
Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of engineering science and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Full knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, electrical power design, and their applications is required. Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical and electrical processes are required.
Experience and some ability to use power tools, wrenches, cements, hand cutters, saws, volt meters, conductivity/pH meters, computers, current sources, power supplies, and hand tools.
Design — Knowledge of design techniques, formulas, tools, and principles involved in the production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Computers and Electronics — Knowledge of control panels, starter panels, terminal strips, PLC and I/O cards, solenoid valving, electronic equipment and instruments, and computer hardware and software, including applications and some programming.
Administration and Management — Knowledge of business principles involved in planning, resource allocation, leadership technique, production methods, and interaction with people and resources.
Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs assessment, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Personal computer – Microsoft Office Suite, AutoCAD, Controls programming software and troubleshooting
The technology used in this position may include:
Analytical or scientific software – Typical PLC programming logic and software such as Allen Bradley, RX Logix500, RS Logix5000, Factory Talk View Studio, ME, Flash Control, I-Cube Configurator software, Cscape programming environment, Siemens, Red Lion, Maple Systems, Etc. software. Also similar HMI software and screen creation ability for Allen Bradley Panel View, I3, Siemens, etc.
Computer-aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD software; AudoCadLt; Hewlett-Packard HP Solid Designer; Pro-E CAD software; Solid Works CAD software.
Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended.
Project management software — Microsoft Project or Primavera Systems software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- The office is located on ground level.
- Must operate office equipment, fax and or printer, and personal computer.
- May stand, walk, bend, stoop, and lift frequently from 4 to 6 hours each day.
- May be required to carry or move equipment or parts in excess of 50 lbs. with the assistance of a lifting device.
- Work requires close vision.
- May be required to travel 15-25% of the time per month.
- May travel outside the US or to international destinations three or more days per month.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment, works closely with others.
- Clean, well-lit area with access to up-to-date technology and equipment.
- May travel to fieldwork site to inspect, repair, or test equipment which requires mental and physical change from routine office work.
Internal – All employees.
External – Customers, vendors, suppliers, sellers, sales staff, consultants.
Provides support to the VP regarding responsibility for the expense budget of his resource needs and some equipment capital recommendations. Expenditure limits do apply and need the manager’s approval.
Job Title: Senior Electrical Designer
Reports To: Vice President of Engineering
FLSA Status: Exempt
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Surplus Management, Inc. (dba WaterSurplus) is an Equal Opportunity Employer