The Associate Mechanical Engineer is responsible for associated help in the selection, designing, and coordination of valves, pumps, skids, instruments, and general mechanical engineering for all products including new, rental fleet, surplus assets, and investment recovery.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Works with Sr. mechanical engineers to help design piping, tanks, valves, pumps, and other components along with skid design, layout, and development for general water treatment equipment.
- With assistance from the Sr. Engineer, the AME engineers projects, selecting and designing mechanical hardware, making detailed plans to accomplish goals, and supporting the integration of technical activities.
- Helps to explain designs, layouts, and engineered components to inside and outside customers.
- Assists sales with customer questions as necessary regarding mechanical equipment design and layout.
- Supports contractor work within mechanical aspects of equipment designs and fabrication under Sr. mechanical engineering.
- Performs administrative functions such as writing reports, O&M manuals, equipment data sheets, creating purchasing requisitions, and assists with the purchase of materials or services.
- Can create CAD drawings sketches for skid, tanks, and piping layouts and/or provide sketches and details for CAD design staff to create drawings as needed.
- May help assist on startup services including installation and follow-up service calls and assist the Service Engineer in the field.
Qualifications for Associate Mechanical Engineer
Education and/or Experience
2-5 years of experience in Mechanical Design or Engineering. A two-year Associate Degree in Applied Sciences, Engineering or Mechanical Design minimum required. Experience in a related water and wastewater treatment industry a plus.
Basic knowledge of water treatment equipment and components, products, and services.
Experience in working in a team environment where teamwork and collaboration are essential to complete the work assignments and attain the goals of the organization.
Interpersonal skills and abilities to develop and maintain strong internal and external customer and potential customer relationships.
Demonstrated ability to contribute to the overall business strategy and make recommendations within the scope of position responsibility.
Knowledge and Skill
Engineering and Technology — Knowledge of the practical application of mechanical design and technology. This includes applying principles, techniques, procedures, and equipment to the design and production of various goods and services. Full knowledge of arithmetic, algebra, geometry, calculus, statistics, and their applications is required. Knowledge and prediction of physical principles, laws, their interrelationships, and applications to understanding fluid, material, and atmospheric dynamics, and mechanical and electrical processes.
Ability to use power tools, wrenches, cements, hand cutters, saws, volt meters, conductivity/pH meters, computers, current sources, power supplies, hand tools.
Mechanical Design — Knowledge of design techniques, formulas, tools, and principles involved in production of precision technical plans, blueprints, drawings, and models.
Computers and Electronics — Basic knowledge computer hardware and software, including applications.
Administration and Management — Knowledge of business principles involved in planning, resource allocation, production methods, and interaction with people and resources.
Customer and Personal Service — Knowledge of principles and processes for providing customer and personal services. This includes customer needs, meeting quality standards for services, and evaluation of customer satisfaction.
Production and Processing — Knowledge of raw materials, production processes, quality control, costs, and other techniques for maximizing the effective manufacture and distribution of goods.
Personal computer – Full knowledge and use of Microsoft Office Suite of programs.
Technology used in this position may include:
Analytical or scientific software – Some familiarity with MS Project for scheduling. Misc design tools for pumps, valves, and tank design and some exposure to RO projection software.
Computer-aided design CAD software — Autodesk AutoCAD software; AudoCadLt; Solid Works Modeling Software a plus.
Document management software — Adobe Systems Adobe Acrobat Pro Extended. Project management software — Microsoft Project or Primavera Systems software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to perform the essential functions of this job successfully. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office is located on ground level.
- Must operate office equipment, fax and or printer, and personal computer.
- May stand, walk, bend, stoop, and lift frequently from 4 to 6 hours each day.
- May be required to carry or move equipment or parts in excess of 50 lbs. with the assistance of a lifting device.
- Work requires close vision.
- May be required to travel up to 15-25% of the time per month.
- May travel outside the US or to international destinations for 3 or more days per month.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Office environment, works closely with others.
- Clean, well lit area with access to up-to-date technology and equipment.
- May travel to field worksite to inspect, repair, or test equipment which requires mental and physical change from routine office work.
Internal – All employees.
External – Customers, vendors and suppliers, sellers, sales staff, consultants.
None. Expenditure limits do apply and need manager’s approval.
Job Title: Associate Mechanical Engineer
Reports To: Mechanical Engineering Manager
Department: Engineering / Operations
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Vision insurance
Surplus Management, Inc. (dba WaterSurplus) is an Equal Opportunity Employer